Born in a Barn

Shouldn’t the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords be born in a palace with all the amenities? That seems to make perfect sense, but it wasn’t the formula God used in the birth of Jesus His son.

Why lies He in such mean estate
Where ox and ass are feeding?
Good Christian, fear: for sinners here,
The silent Word is pleading.
This, this is Christ the King
Whom shepherds guard and angels sing.
Haste, haste to bring Him laud,
The Babe, the Son of Mary.
(from What Child is This?)

While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn. Luke 2:6-7

Jesus, the Christ, Savior of the world, entered this world under the most modest circumstances. No swank palace, just a barn and swaddling clothes. I’m confident that the God of the Universe could have arranged for at least one available room in the inn. But, He didn’t. Have you ever wondered why? I have to believe it was done in keeping with the humanity, the humility and gentleness that Jesus would demonstrate during His life.

Jesus said, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30

We never saw Jesus forcing Himself upon others. Rather, we find a loving invitation to come and follow. When I was growing up my parents would try to teach me to close the front door after entering the house. They would say something like, “Where you born in a barn?” I would say, “No!” They would reply, “Then shut the door, don’t leave it open!” I wasn’t born in a barn but I’m so thankful Jesus was so that “sinners here” would have an open invitation “to bring Him laud, the Babe, the Son of Mary.”

Celebrate the Wonder of Christmas, recognizing the gentle and humble nature of the Savior.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 80-20 Rule

FREEDOM’S PRICE

WALK THE TALK