WAIT FOR THE PROMISE

I loved going places with my grandfather. One place that was always an exciting time was the annual trip in early summer with some men from his company and my cousin James to fish the Red River. At the time James and I weren’t too much into fishing but we sure looked forward to getting stuck in the river’s quick sand to see how far we could sink. Grandad knew when the river trip was a few days away; he would begin talking with increased anticipation about the event. One year I remember him calling and saying, “I’ll be by to pick you up after lunch, be ready.” As soon as I finished lunch which I think was around 12:05 (after all it doesn’t take long to finish a PB&J), I was on the edge of the drive way sitting on the bumper of my mom’s car looking down the street both ways waiting for his lime green Chevy Corvair to appear. I waited, and I waited and waited some more. I was so hyped and all that anticipation he built up during the week only frustrated me. I wanted to go NOW! But he knew something I did not know—after lunch meant 4:30. He had work to finish before we could leave for the weekend of fun. Grandad knew that there was a time and place for the promise to be fulfilled. But, the trip must wait for the appointed time.

 
That’s what Christ-followers are doing today. We are waiting for the appointed time—the day of the Lord. In fact, that’s what believers have been doing since the days after the resurrection. We’re waiting for the return of Jesus. Some wait more patiently than others, while some try to calculate the exact date, time and place of His return. Many of us can recall recent attempts by groups to predict the return of Christ. In many ways, we are like that little boy on the bumper of his mom’s car who was promised a trip to the river and, just like him, our ability to understand God’s time is faulty. I like Eugene Peterson’s paraphrase of 1 Thessalonians 5: 1-2 that reads, “I don’t think friends, that I need to deal with the question of when all this is going to happen. You know as well as I that the day of the Master’s coming can’t be posted on our calendars. He won’t call ahead and make an appointment any more than a burglar would.” (The Message)

 What I needed was to trust the words of Grandad. What we need, then, is to trust the words of our Savior, “And, if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.” (John 14:1-3). Our role in God’s plan is to be ready and trust him for that promise to be kept.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 80-20 Rule

FREEDOM’S PRICE

Mask Off