So Others Might See

In a paraphrased version of the Bible called The Message are these words from James 5:13-15. Are you hurting? Pray. Do you feel great? Sing. Are you sick? Call the church leaders together to pray and anoint you with oil in the name of the Master. Believing-prayer will heal you, and Jesus will put you on your feet. And if you’ve sinned, you’ll be forgiven—healed inside and out.

Are the politics and politicians of the day troubling you? Pray. Is your heart still pumping? Sing. Is the stock market driving you and your portfolio down the fast lane to ruin? Pray. Can you feel God’s presence? Sing. Are you picking up on the message?

How amazing is it that we become so easily frustrated and lose the sense of victory in our lives? We get all twisted out of shape over the smallest stuff. Do I need to remind you that praying and singing actually work? Why do we only use them as a last resort? When I was a kid and got sick, the first thing my Mom did was to pray for me. There weren’t many visits to the doctor’s office back then. But when I did go it was a doozy! Like the time I got a bean stuck up my nose…don’t ask! I know my Mom had to be praying for God to heal me from stupidity. I wasn’t healed every time she prayed, but God’s power to intervene in life’s situations has never been in doubt. And, she set a marvelous example for me of seeking God in prayer when faced with difficulties.

She also helped me to see that a smile is a wonderful gift or that a kind word can change a life, a song will lift your spirit and a prayer is a powerful force. Thanks Mom for the basic training.

Considering all that is happening in the world around us and to us, it is time that we practice what we preach or quit preaching. It’s time to really believe what we say we believe…and then live like we believe so others might see. May God give us the courage to share Christ every single day…actively seeking Him for the strength and joy to enter our personal mission fields wearing His name and character. Trust me, He wears well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 80-20 Rule

FREEDOM’S PRICE

WALK THE TALK