GROWTH POTENTIAL

In Luke 8:5-15 Jesus uses the parable of the farmer who planted his seed by scattering it across his field to teach his disciples about what kind of heart is needed to be spiritually productive. The seeds fell in four different areas, each having a profound effect upon the outcome of the seed’s (God’s Word) growth potential. One of the landing locations is explained in verse 13; “The seeds on the rocky soil represent those who hear the message and receive it with joy. But since they don't have deep roots, they believe for a while, then they fall away when they face temptation.” 

Just a thin layer of topsoil cradled the seeds above a ground of rocks. As the seed began to take root all of its strength and energy was spent trying push through the rocks. When its tender green shoots sprang upward it had no nutrients from below to maintain its growth potential and thus withered away.  
 
A superficial feeling of joy brought about by the Word may leave a noteworthy impression but not always a lasting one. Is this true of you? 
 
Christ-follower it’s time to take a good look at yourself in light of this text and ask; “Have I been letting the Word go in one ear and out the other? Do I have the appearance that outwardly I’m ok, but my inner life is a no-show? Am I sincerely rooted in love and devotion to Jesus?
 
Lasting growth is upward and downward at the same time. If your heart isn’t soft and doesn’t get nourished by the grace of God you may have some immediate results but ultimately your spiritual life will wither and fade because your growth potential cannot flourish on a rocky, unbroken, unsanctified heart.
 
O Lord, nourish me, let me take root in your love. Let me feel the energy of the Holy Spirit deep in my heart. Plow me Lord! Break up my obstinate nature and scatter your enduring truth into my soul that I may yield your abundant fruit at harvest time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 80-20 Rule

FREEDOM’S PRICE

WALK THE TALK