HONEST EVALUATION


There was an old pop song written back in the day that said, “I've done everything for you — you’ve done nothing for me.” That's the way some people sum up their relationships. They remember everything they give— they forget everything they've received. Sometimes we have a tendency to do this with God. I’ve heard people say to me that God demands everything and gives nothing in return. This is why in Micah 6:1 God invites us to "make a case" against him. “O my people, what have I done to you? What have I done to make you tired of me?  Answer me!” (Micah 6:3)

God knows that if you are honest in your case-making, you will discover that he has given more to you than you could ever possibly give in return. In verse four, God gives the children of Israel a gentle reminder. He says: I brought you out of Egypt. I redeemed you. I sent Moses, Aaron and Miriam to help you. And in verse five God lays it all out in the open. “I did everything I could to teach you about my faithfulness.” Always remember God is faithful even when you are not.

Here is a classic situation that happens often when someone feels they are on the negative side of a relationship: A young lady had built up a long list of resentment toward her father because he had never been there for her. He was gone all the time. When he was home, he was emotionally distant. She felt like this was the source of all of her problems. On the day of her dad's 50th birthday, she told her mom she didn't want to go to the party—she would rather be with friends. Her mom said, “Ok. Why don't you go pick up your friends in the car your dad gave you as a graduation gift, in celebration of the college education he paid for. You can tell them what a terrible father you have.”

Fathers are not perfect and have to own their part in what causes fractures within the relationship of their children when they are emotionally absent from their family. But this can be said: When you give your relationships an honest evaluation, you will see things that maybe you overlooked before. This works in every kind of relationship — family, marriage, parents, children, friends, employees, employers and especially in your relationship with God.
When you honestly evaluate your life, you will see that no matter what your circumstances, the Lord has done far more for you than you have done for him. Here's the point to take with you: Honest evaluation always leads to overwhelming appreciation. I have learned that whenever there is a rift between me and God, the rift is mine.

Make sure that ever day of your life includes an honest evaluation of your relationship with God. Before you begin to feel sorry for yourself, look for ways to say thank you for all that he has done.

Comments

  1. Hello Pastor. I am also a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am blessed by your blog post on Honest Evaluation of my relationship with God. Thank you for reminding me of this. So true. I am blessed. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the pastoral ministry for last 40 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have your young people come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. I am sure they will have a life changing experience. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and the ministry also wishing you a blessed and a Christ centred rest of the year 2018. I would love to visit your church God willing if I happen to be in the United States. I did come several times and if God opens doors for me to visit States I will be so happy to stop by your place and visit you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The 80-20 Rule

FREEDOM’S PRICE

SIN-GUARD