SCRIPTED

When I watch movies I’m always trying to figure out what is coming next. My wife is not a fan. I am amazed by the techniques that scriptwriters infuse into the story. They throw in symbolism, clues and teasers throughout the course of a movie that give you a deeper glimpse, but at the same time are so subtle, you often have to see the film again before you catch everything.

Every word a writer puts down on paper has purpose. There is no word or event or thought that is not carefully crafted. The writer goes to tremendous lengths to make sure everything is interwoven and perfect before he moves on. What if I was a scriptwriter? What if my life, my story was being taken down with each step I took? Each word and action captured and presented. I know this; I would be a lot more cautious and thoughtful about what I said or did.

It is to this point that our lives should be as thoughtful as scriptwriters making their movies. In every step, I should be running with purpose. In every step, I should be making sure I am an example for Christ and living a life that shines the light on Him. With every step, I should be thinking about the story of my life. It matters what I say. It matters what I do. I need to be purposeful in writing a script that glorifies God in everything I do. Instead, I often think about Him second, or forget to pray before making decisions, thinking that I am the only one who cares about my script.

Each step we take, each decision we make needs to be thoughtful and purposeful, not haphazard or careless. Paul in 1 Corinthians 9:26 says, “I run with purpose in ever step. I am not just shadowboxing.” God calls us to be disciplined and training all the time for His kingdom. May it be when we look back on the script of our lives we’ll be satisfied in the knowledge that for God’s kingdom, our lives have been smash hits.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 80-20 Rule

FREEDOM’S PRICE

Mask Off